The Perla Field Early Production Development Project (PERLA EP) is a gas field located in the Gulf of Venezuela, 30 miles offshore Venezuela at a water depth of approximately 65 m. The field is licensed and operated by Cardon IV, S.A., a joint operating company owned by ENI (50%) and REPSOL (50%). The development is divided into two distinct phases – an Early Production Phase and Full Field Phase.
A contract for the shore approach services was awarded to now part of DEME Offshore. The Scope of Work included:
• Onshore civil works
• Onshore, near-shore trench dredging works up to -12 m MSL (6,500 m long trench)
• Installation of a temporary causeway
• Installation of 4,700 m of 102 mm pull wire to pull a 30” pipeline to shore
• Installation and operation of 500-tonne linear winch
• Trench backfilling works along entire trench
• Site reinstatement
Several challenges were successfully overcome. These included handling very soft clay material during the trench dredging works and having to dredge the trench through a shallow sandbank in high winds and strong currents, as well as complex logistics.